Call for Papers
Postscripts: The Journal of Sacred Texts, Cultural Histories, and Contemporary Contexts, invites submissions for forthcoming issues in 2020 and beyond.
Postscripts (Equinox) is a fully refereed journal devoted to the academic study of scriptures around the globe, with a particular focus on the use and reception of sacred texts in both historical and contemporary perspective. Postscripts invites submissions of original critical work that takes up the question of the ongoing reception and mobilization of sacred texts in areas ranging from contemporary politics, to culture, to social life, as well as historical examples that reflect this diverse usage. The journal also pays particular attention to thinking broadly and critically about the very category of “sacred texts”.
In particular, Postscriptsis interested in research that explores:
- Contemporary uses of and engagement with sacred texts (broadly understood)
- Scriptures and their cultural histories, particularly forms of reception that go beyond the mainstream exegetical and interpretive traditions
- Sacred texts and cultural criticism
- Materiality and sacred texts
- Performative and iconic dimensions of scriptures
- Theoretical reflections on scriptures
- Classification and categorization of sacred texts
- The arts and sacred texts
- The intersections of religion, textuality, media, and mediation across disciplinary boundaries
Postscripts welcomes submissions for future issues—whether in the form of individual articles or curated collections of essays. We also encourage alternative formats such as moderated forums on specific issues in the field, and although we do not publish book reviews, we welcome review essays that assess the state of scholarship in the field. Potential authors are invited to contact the editor in advance of making a formal submission of an alternative format or curated collection of essays.
- Prompt peer-review process and clear publication timelines
- Early online publication
- Print and digital publication
- Supportive editorial guidance throughout the publication process
- Discounts on Equinox books and journals
Bradford A. Anderson, editor